Saturday, December 29, 2007

MacBook Pro as Mobile Studio

The current MacBook Pro is the best mobile studio available. It has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I prefer the 15 inch display model. You may prefer the 17 inch model, if the attached screen is the only display that you will be using. I selected 256 MB of VRAM this time, rather than 128 MB VRAM model. The desktop version is running 512 MB of VRAM. The Motion program, games, other applications, and external displays will use this VRAM.

I attach my MacBook Pro DVI port to a 20 inch Apple Cinema Display, so I prefer the smaller size and weight when I travel with my MacBook Pro. Both the 15 inch and 17 inch model now provide both a Firewire 800 and Firewire 400 port. I attach my Firewire 800 port to a hard drive, and my Firewire 400 port to my Sony DSR-11 DVCAM edit deck.

I picked the glossy screen version this time, which has not had a problem with glare, at least with my lighting. My previous MacBook Pro had the non-glossy screen.

The previous MacBook Pro models had limitations on how much memory you could increase them to. My MacBook Pro now has 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, my previous had 2 GB of memory.

This MacBook Pro has a 160 GB hard disk (5400 rpm), and my previous one had 120 GB (5400 rpm), which is just barely enough for production. I have to use external Firewire drives (7200 rpm) for production work. I am considering replacing my existing MacBook Pro drive with a 200 GB or 250 GB internal 7200 rpm drive.

Even with the 160 GB hard disk, I did not have enough room for the installation of Soundtrack Pro audio libraries (21 GB), and some other Final Cut Studio 2 goodies. There is plenty of room for Final Cut Pro 6.0.2, Compressor, Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, and LiveType.

A Speck plastic case will clip onto the MacBook Pro, protecting it from scratches and dings. Safeware Insurance http://safeware.com provides peace of mind from theft or breakage. I am more concerned about those things than the hardware failing, which is that that Apple Care covers.

No comments: